Chronic Pain

A 51 year old female living and dealing with lumbar back pain and fibromyalgia. Sharing things I do for relief, reduce stress and control weight gain.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

FDA Acetaminophen mandate

My husband picked up my refill on my pain medication for me last week.  The pharmacist wanted to make sure he made me aware that the acetaminophen level had been lowered from 500 to 325.  I had read about this so I wasn't surprised.  I could tell you all about what I read but I'll just share the link for those who are interested.  

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm381644.htm

There is a need for concern.  I've heard on the news all the concerns of the effects on your liver.  I always stick to the recommended dosage.  Not to say that I don't need 500, but I trust the FDA is looking out for patients who really need to take it on a regular basis.  I've been pumping my stomach with NSAIDs for 10+ years.  Since my back surgery it's been on a scheduled daily dosage without missing.  Like a baby takes a bottle.  One reason is it helps me keep the pain medication level down which helps it continue to work.  I get an hour or two relief so I plan accordingly.  If I took it more often I believe it will help even less.  

I start out with the ibuprofen, 2 hours later the main medicine, 2 hours later more ibuprofen then depending on what I have to accomplish that day I sweat it out, stretch, lye on the heating pad and try to make it to the next pain medication dose.  If I just can't make it I take some motrin in between the two kinds.  Approximately 4 out of 7 nights I have to take a 3rd dose of pain medicine before going to bed.  If I don't let it get out of control I can skip it and just take another dose of ibuprofen if it has been long enough.  Once I'm off my feet, not sitting or standing I get about 70% relief. ( in my back )

You know the commercial that advertises why take 4-6 of this pain medicine when you could take 2 for all day?  It humors me every time.  I take 4 of the liquid ibuprofen.   Two used to work years ago.  Then I needed 3, now it's four.  When they first came out with that commercial I decided to try Aleve again.  It never worked for me in the past.  I tried it twice and then gave the full bottle to my son for his back pain.   It did nothing for me.  I've even tried Rx naproxen.  Somethings just don't work for some people.  

So remember when I said above there is a need for concern?  For me, that's why.  There have been times that I had my pain level get so high that an hour later I took another half I was so desperate for just a little relief.  That would put me at 750 of the acetaminophen.   If I were to need to do that now even two an hour apart in that type of situation would only put me at 625.  If this were to happen in the morning I could still have my second and/or third dose.  In a 24hour period you should not have more than 4000mg so I am in very safe levels.

A big concern for people who take acetaminophen everyday is reading labels.  There are so many other medications (cold and flu) that contain acetaminophen.  Another increased risk is certain individuals who drink alcohol on a regular basis and take acetaminophen.  If you have any concerns there is plenty of information on great medical web sites to answer your questions.  Of course you can always discuss with your doctor also. 

Still waiting on the call from the veterinarian office on answers from LSU.  I'm also waiting on some warm weather.  Oh, have I already mentioned that?  I'll take above 50 for a full week and be thrilled.  Oh yeah, and some sunshine regularly.  Guess I'm trying to play God now.

AJ is doing great.  She had her two week check up and is now up to 9lbs and 14ozs.  
I've skipped physical and occupational therapy for the third week.  I did see my social worker last Thursday because it was a much needed visit.  On my next post I will fill you in on my elbow, my stimulator and handling the fibromyalgia.  I have my 3 month check up with my PM doctor on Monday and I'm actually looking forward to it. 

Until then I hope your days are pain free.  Theresa



For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.
Philippians 4:13 




Look at those fingers


This is called grab and snap!

A with AJ











No comments: